Monday, October 19, 2009

MY B-DAY WISH UNFULFILLED

Well, yesterday Sunday October 18th, my birthday, was excellent in all ways possible, save the outcome of of the Jets/Buffalo game in the Meadowlands.

I had a rough night Saturday, celebrating my birthday with friends, and I swear that 15 seconds more on the bumpy elementary school bus that shuttled us from the non-permit lot to the stadium, and I'd have puked my guts out.

But I held, and the fresh COLD air of the Meadowlands, coupled with meeting some amazing tailgating fans, made me feel great. A huge thank you to everyone we met, the new friends made, and old friends we saw again.

To the all-woman tailgaters honoring Breast Cancer Awareness, (delicious bacon and gummy bears, thank you) to Peter and the gang at 16G, to Brian and his die-hard crew with the incredible four cheese macaroni, to Matt, a boy celebrating his birthday with family as he wished, it was a great day. And even to the Bills fans (from Buffalo) who shared their view on the Jets, their own chant, and how if any team is cursed, it's probably theirs, being in FOUR STRAIGHT SUPERBOWLS in the 90's, only to LOSE ALL FOUR. I can't even BEGIN to imagine that agony. Thank you all for your time and generosity.

As for the Jets, and the FRUSTRATION I felt watching what was without a doubt the LONGEST, UGLIEST game of football I've ever seen in my life, I'm letting that frustration go. Or I'll go insane.

From the 5 interceptions was it? And MILLIONS of penalty yards, (it was millions I'm sure) what we're seeing is exactly what we should be seeing from a rookie QB and rookie coach. It wouldn't be so frustrating if we'd started the year like this.

But the Jets are the Jets, and as I've stated all along in these posts, and you fans know yourselves, it's the Jet way to build us up before smashing us down. So can we be surprised? Can we really be that mad? I guess we can. How DARE they build us up like that. I had NO expectations this year - meaning, no clear idea how they'd do. It all depended on the variables I just mentioned.

But to go 3-0? Madness. And anyone who has yet to grasp the Jet journey, this is it. For you non football fans checking this out, or fans of other teams who want to know what goes on in the lives of a Jet fan, you're getting your fill.

Against all odds they go 3-0, then go 0-3. Wish it was the other way around.

Now we have no IDEA where they're heading. With their schedule, and talent we KNOW they have cause we've seen it, they could win the next three and bring balance to the universe, or they could lose the next three and give each of us a head of full gray hair, or bald patches from scratching our heads in wonder.

So for now I'll say this: We've got a rookie QB and coach. And they're acting like it.

Stay calm. We're only SIX games into the Ryan/Sanchez era. Give them time. Could take a couple years to get enough experience to go the distance. Maybe 3. Maybe more. Are we not patient? Have we not waited this long? Are we not tied to this team no matter WHAT by this point? What choice do we have but to wait? Is THIS not the Jet Curse we're exploring? This being trapped? This emotional abduction? This irrational connection we can't sever?????

Until then, let's keep the smiles and laughter going before the game, and after. Keep up the camaraderie of our shared (if disappointing) experience.

And we'll see you next time.

Until then, GO JETS. BEAT OAKLAND.

Mark J. Williamson

PS - Sanchez stays at QB. You don't pull him. I present exhibit "A" for this argument, Superbowl Champ Eli Manning's career stats including HIS first year in the league, where he only played 9 games. He got better as time passed. But I recall clearly how Giants fans wanted him removed after some of his dismal performances. And yet now look where they are. http://www.nfl.com/players/elimanning/careerstats?id=MAN473170

No comments:

Post a Comment