Friday, December 11, 2009

CURSE CEREMONY PENNIES

Wanted to mention a small detail about the curse breaking ceremony I performed in Times Square Thursday December 3rd before we beat the Bills in Toronto.

One of the steps provided by curse expert Lexa Rosean was to drop three pennies in the crossroad. (Times Square). I figured, no sweat. I've got pennies all over the place. Or someone there would have pennies no doubt.

But then I said to myself, no. I can't just drop any pennies. I must use this opportunity to offer up pennies with significant years in Jets history. To release them and the energy associated with them.

So, I dug through my current penny collection (I save change I come home with during the day in a jar that I hope to apply to a vacation somewhere down the line), and I found many different years with interesting connections.

The three I hunted for first, and thus went with for the ceremony (though others popped up in my searching), were the following:

1982
In 1982 I was ten years old. The Jets, with Richard Todd at quarterback, advanced to the AFC Championship game - the game that decides who represents the American Football Conference (AFC) in the Superbowl against the National Football Conference (NFC) team.

We played the Miami Dolphins in Miami, in a game now known as "The Mud Bowl". We were down 7-0 the whole game, and were driving late in the game to tie it when Richard Todd threw like his 700th interception that game, straight over the middle and into the arms of Miami defender A. J. Duhe (Doo-ee).

Ended the Jet drive, sealed Miami's win, and broke my ten year old heart. This being one of the only two times we got that close to the Superbowl, this was one year that had to be released.

1998
Our second and only other trip to the AFC Championship game in my lifetime. I was 26 years old. (oh where did my youth go?)

We're winning 10-0 against the Denver Broncos, IN Denver, and I could NOT have been more excited. Visions of Vince Lombardi Trophies were dancing in my head. So excited I could explode. The ten year old me, and every other year old me was screaming and ready to burst.

Then BAM. Jets Curse (or SOME unexplained force of negativity) attacks the Jets and they give up TWENTY THREE DAMN POINTS to Denver, NEVER SCORING AGAIN THE WHOLE GAME.

We lose 23-10. No Superbowl.

1968
Why release a penny from the season where the Jets won their first and only Superbowl? Hoisting the trophy in January of 1969? Two reasons.

One, because it IS our only Superbowl appearance and victory, and as a great victory, it should be remembered.

Two, because it is our only Superbowl appearance and victory. And because Joe Namath is our only truly legendary hero. Sure I see Klecko and Gastineau and Chrebet jerseys at the field and I love them. But the only quarterback jersey I see consistently, and the only one from the 68' Jets, is Namath.

He's a great hero but we need a new one. We need a new #12. A new jersey to be forever associated with a Jet championship. One that guys will be wearing forty years from now like Namath's #12 is forty years after his victory.

And so for that reason, I let go of Superbowl III. As victory and moment we should no longer look back to, but instead look forward to the next victory. Throw our energy forward to new glories for this team and the fans who love them.

GO JETS. WIN THE SUPERBOWL.

Mark J. Williamson

No comments:

Post a Comment