Wednesday, January 13, 2010

FAIR WEATHER FANS

Been talking to Wayne and Ben about the documentary and how it's all coming together thus far. Of course we don't know the ending yet, but one thing is for sure...

THIS YEAR IS A MICROCOSM OF AN ENTIRE LIFETIME OF JET FANDOM.

It really is. My hope is that watching this documentary will not just challenge or remind Jet fans just WHY they stay with this team (instead of jumping to the Giants, or worse, pulling for another city), but will inform the rest of the fans of the league and non sports fans alike why we stick by them. What it's like to root for them, especially now more than ever with so much change in this 2009 season.

And what's MORE interesting is that with the Jets making the playoffs and the Giants not, Wayne's telling me about fair-weather fans that are popping up. People who only wear the green when the green wear victory. Happens in every sport I know, but thinking Superbowl as I am now (not specifically due to this season but because of my curse-breaking ceremony where I call for a championship victory), I wonder just how PISSED I'll be seeing non-fans jumping on board and sharing the victory after I've waited a damn lifetime to celebrate.

It's like my oldest brother Mike LOVING the heavy metal band Metallica back in the 80's when they first came out and NO ONE knew who they were. Then EVERYONE knew who they were and he was like, "aw MAN! I've been with them FOREVER! I was here FIRST!"

But such is greatness. People flock to it. And the true believers must suffer them. Beats suffering them in victory then suffering alone in defeat.

I'm willing to put up with a few hangers on if it means we're world champions. I've put up with defeat for so long, that'll be a small price to pay indeed.

GO JETS. BEAT SAN DIEGO.

Mark J. Williamson

No comments:

Post a Comment